Assignments: All essay assignment from the spring will come from The World is Flat by Thomas Freidman
Chapter One Prompt: Due January 13th***Must be turned in on Turnitin.com!!
Chapter 1-While I was sleeping
1. What is the genesis for the title of the book? In other words, explain why Friedman calls the book what he does.
2. What evidence exists that shows the McDonalds Corporation responding to the “flattening” phenomenon.
Chapter Three Prompt: Due January 27th***Must be turned in on Turnitin.com
Chapter 3- The Triple Convergence
1. What is the triple convergence that Friedman speaks of? Assess his argument and evaluate rather you think he is right.
2. What do the statistics concerning Yale University reveal about how the world has flattened?
Chapter Five Prompt: Due February 10th ***Must be turned in on Turnitin.com
Chapter 5- America and Free Trade
1. Offer an analysis of the benefits, as well as, the costs of free trade as it concerns the United States.
2. Explain how education is the "lynchpin" for the United States and its transition to the "flat world".
Chapter Eight Prompt : Due February 24th***Must be turned in on TURNITIN.com
Chapter 8- The Quiet Crisis
1. Choose and discuss the importance of three "dirty little secrets".
2. Discuss the state of education in the United States and in India. Based on Friedman's arguments,
what must the United States do to remain competittive with India in teh 21st century?
Chapter 10 Prompt: Due Friday March 30th***Must be turned in on TURNITIN.com
10- The Virgin of Guadalupe
1. Explain why so many people, most notably in Sub-Saharan Africa and South America, are mired in poverty despite the march in those areas towards globalization?
2. What differences exist regarding Mexico and China as they relate to “trading partner status” with the United States?